Inpatient Treatment Outcomes

Inpatient Patient Satisfaction Survey 4th Quarter 2020 2

Hand Sanitizer

98%

Cleanliness and appearance of the facility

97% YTD 2020

Brain

95%

Understanding of aftercare plan

95% YTD 2020

Stethoscope

94%

Involvement with clinical staff

95% YTD 2020

Nurse Icon

91%

Nursing staff responsiveness

93% YTD2020

Fork and Knife

88%

Food quality

86% YTD 2020

Light bulb

96%

Information you learned about your disease

97% YTD 2020

Inpatient Patient Education & Employment Data*

White Graduation Cap on Green Circle

4th Quarter 2020 Inpatient percentage of the Inpatient population treated with college Associate’s Degree (16%), Bachelor’s Degree (24%), Graduate Degree (15%), and some college-no degree (17%) levels of education: 72%

YTD 2020 Inpatient percentage of the Inpatient population treated with college Associate’s Degree (13%), Bachelor’s Degree (25%), Graduate Degree (14%), and some college-no degree (2o%) levels of education: 72%

White Suit on Green Circle

4th Quarter 2020 Inpatient percentage of the Inpatient population treated that was employed full-time (35-plus hours/week, 66%) and/or part-time (<35 hours/week, 1%), combined: 67%

YTD 2020 Inpatient percentage of the Inpatient population treated that was employed full-time (35-plus hours/week, 68%) and/or part-time (<35 hours/week, 4%), combined: 72%

78%

4th Quarter 2020 Outpatient Aftercare Tracking

78% of our discharged patients in Qrtr 4 2020 who were scheduled for an initial outpatient aftercare appointment attended the appointment. 78% YTD 2020.

Tully Hill strives to ensure that each and every patient admitted to the Inpatient medically supervised detoxification service and Inpatient rehabilitation service and programs meets his or her treatment plan goals, while in treatment. Monthly, we submit to our licensing authority, the NY State office of Addiction Services and Supports (OASAS), patient treatment and care data that it uses to generate treatment outcomes. Those results tell us the extent to which our patients are meeting their treatment plan goals.

1 Data from New York Office of Addiction Services and Supports (OASAS) Inpatient Crisis Episode (Detox) Item Statistics Reports and Discharge Item Statistics Reports for Inpatient (Rehab) Treatment Services. Data rounded to the nearest whole percentage. Treatment Plan goal components include alcohol, drug, emotional functioning family situation, legal, medical, social functioning, and tobacco use goals. Treatment plan goals are individualized and dependent upon diagnoses, the individual being treated, and his/her treatment plan.

2 Patient satisfaction is a daily priority for all Tully Hill staff. We are proud of both its survey response rate (100% of routine discharges for 4th quarter 2020 and 95% response rate for YTD2020) and the ratings that our discharged patients assign to our program and services. As with our treatment and care outcome data, we are always looking to improve patients’ experiences and perspectives of their stay at Tully Hill.

*source – NY State OASAS 4th quarter 2020and YTD 2020 Inpatient Discharge Item Statistics report, ‘Education at Discharge’ and ‘Employment at Discharge’ report categories